Friday, February 15, 2013

Introduction

Hello! Welcome to my blog!

Do you ever feel Home Wrecked??? According to Google (with a little help from me):


wreck  

/rek/

Noun
The destruction of sanity at home; a homewreck.

Verb
Cause the destruction of (sanity) by family or life in general.

Synonyms
noun.  ruin - wreckage - homewreck - destruction - insane person- 
verb.  ruin - destroy - demolish - shatter - smash - homewreck 

If you fall into that category, then this blog is for you!!

I'm just curious, how often do you use Avagadros number in everyday life? Or actually need to know all 50 State Capitals? Or what was so special about Rembrandt's technique? I'm sure sometimes it feels like we spent years and years in school preparing us for the "real world" (which really just meant college) and yet, here I am, a college grad, in the real world, not really using any of my AP Human Geography knowledge. Not that there was much of that to begin with. I got a 1 on the test. But I digress. I want to clarify- I AM NOT PUTTING DOWN ANY TYPE OF EDUCATION BY ANY MEANS. (For the record I do use Algebra every time I go to the store. Especially when  calculating if it's worth spending more per pound on a leaner cut of beef.)  But I do feel like there were some gaping holes in a lot of people's education. For example, certain "core" subjects were and are required for everyone. I understand, those are important to know. But why are other subjects considered unimportant? I haven't found exact statistics but something like 47% of college grads go on to use math or science everyday in their careers (to be clear, I made up that number). However, more than 95% of people go on to be parents (Again, another made up number but I feel like it's a fair assumption that more people are parents than go into a scientific career). So why are the subjects that involve family life desperately left out of our education?   

So maybe you did take Home Ec/TLC in school but likely it was years ago and after a kid or two do you honestly remember how to sew a drawstring bag/pajama pants, or "cook" an orange julius? How about knowing how to hem a child's or husband's pants? How to create a family budget? Where to put that super-cute border up in your child's room? Or what are developmentally appropriate learning activities for children of all ages? How do you get your kid to eat more vegetables? How many extra calories do you actually need while pregnant? What the heck is gluten?

The point is- life is hard. Parenting is hard. I'm here to try and make it a little easier. I graduated in Family and Consumer Sciences Education (Home Ec). And while the joke commonly heard was "oh, so you're majoring to be a mom?" It's true! Yes I did!! Being a mom is crazy enough WITH the education I had, I can't imagine doing it any other way. 

So here's how this blog works. I'm a teacher and I will teach you things that I think are good to know as a parent. I will cover  5 categories: Foods & Nutrition, Child Development, Interior Design, Financial Literacy, and Clothing & Textiles. I will post a "lecture" of types and there will be assignments/challenges you can choose to do. If you have a request for a lesson, leave a comment or e-mail me.

Above you can see I have tabs to organize my posts for you. Constructive feedback is always appreciated (remember, even though the internet doesn't have feelings, the people using it do!)

Enjoy!
-Aimee

No comments:

Post a Comment